BCS Championship Game Coverage-Day Two (Friday)Today gave us our first bit of bulletin board material as the Notre Dame offensive players showed up to the media center followed by the Alabamas defensive players. Irish tight end Tyler Eifert when asked to talk about Alabamas defense he said its not like their superman. That doesnt sound like much, but you can see that their is this feeling of dissrespect coming out of the Irish camp. Wide Re ceiver Ty Jones threw the biggest dagger of the day by calling the Alabama secondary the weak link of the unit and that they were going to attack that area. Bama players took the high road, but I could tell Dee Milliner and Robert Lester had to pause just a second before they answered questions about Jones remarks. One thing is for sure both teams are highly motivated for one reason or another and that usually means we will have a good game.
Mobility the Key
The other storyline today was the mobiility of Irish quarterback Everett Golson who was actully benched earlier in the season for violating team rules. The comparisons by the media to Johnny Manziel seemed a bit of a stretch to me, seeing that Manziel is a much better passer. However his escapability versus the Tide defense has Irish fans optimistic. Golson can run with the ball but more importantly he has learn to scramble to throw. This puts alot of pressure on the secondary and their discipline. They must not break coverage until Golson breaks the line of scrimmage. Damion Square pounded home the fact that they must contain him and keep him in the pocket with their pass rush. The goal of the Bama defense Monday night effect the quarterback.
Future Head Coach
Kirby Smart met with the media today and it is very apparent that he is ready to be a head coach. He is even more polished with his responses than even a year ago in New Orleans. He talked about avoiding complacency and that each team has to stay hungry and this years team wants to eat. He doesnt believe in carry over from year to year just the chip that a team brings with it to prove itself on the biggest stage. He complimented the focus and attention to detail of Head Coach Nick Saban and said he is more in tuned with the mental side of the game than ever. Smart said he couldnt remember so much mental coaching when he work for Saban at LSU. He believes that gives Alabama and edge when they take the field. He admitted to interviewing with Auburn and said it was a good process for both sides.
This and That
- Notre Dame Offensive Coordinator said the light went on for Everett Golson in Norman, Oklahoma. That was the first time he could see him taking control of the team and becoming the quarterback he can be. The Irish won 30-13 and quieting any critics nationally of whether they were for real.
- Golson said his favorite sport is basketball and he hopes to play for Mike Bray and the Irish someday. He almost played both football and basketball at North Carolina before deciding on Notre Dame.
- Nico Johnson said the pressure from the fans in the state of Alabama is a good thing. He said they are the only game in town(he mentioned Auburn too) and that they feel like they have to win for their fans and enjoy that pressure.
- This Notre Dames first undefeated season since 1988.
- Alabama is playing in its fifth BCS Bowl game and is the sixth team to play in consecutive BCS Championship games.
- This is Notre Dames fourth BCS Bowl game and their record is currently 0-3.
- Brian Kelly is coaching to win a National Title in his third season and become the fifth Irish head coach to do so.
- Nick Saban is the first coach in BCS history to lead teams to four BCS Title Games.