For all you passionate fans, you big-time stats guys, you BTSG's. Here are some notes, nuggets and tidbits of all things College Football. Impress your friends it's time to kickoff!
The Thundering Herd offense is booming as it put up a season-high 61 points in Marshall’s win over Southern Miss. It was the fourth time that Marshall scored 60 or more points since 2000 and the first since 2002 in a game against Buffalo. In this game Kevin Grooms ran for 109 yards and Essray Taliaferro ran for 108. Even crazier, those two backs ran only eight times each. This is the sixth time this season an FBS team has had at least two different players with 100 or more rush yards when each had less than 10 rushing attempts in a game.
- Marshall vs. Southern Miss: Kevin Grooms and Essray Taliaferro
- Alabama vs. Arkansas: Derrick Henry and Kenyan Drake
- Auburn vs. Western Carolina: Tre Mason and Cameron Artis-Payne
- Florida State vs. Nevada: Karlos Williams and Devonta Freeman
- Oregon vs. Nicholls State: Byron Marshall and Marcus Mariota
- Arkansas State vs. Ark-Pine Bluff: Michael Gordon, Sirgregory Thornton and Fredi Knighten
FLORIDA ATLANTIC UNIVERSITY
The Owls of Florida Atlantic doubled up Tulane in their 34-17 victory last week. It was the first victory for interim head coach Brian Wright. FAU intercepted four straight passing attempts in the game. D’Joun Smith had three of them. The three picks gives him seven on the season and eight in his career. Smith’s seven leads the FBS. It is one more than another player from the game, Tulane’s Lorenzo Doss who had one in the game. Smith is one of two players with a three interception game this season. Kendall Fuller of Virginia Tech is the other. Overall the Owls have had three players with three interceptions in a game in school history.
- D’Joun Smith: 2013 vs. Tulane
- Tavious Polo: 2007 vs. Minnesota
- Corey Small: 2006 vs. Arkansas State
The Roadrunners ran on the road very well last week as UTSA defeated Tulsa 34-15. USTA jumped out to 24-0 first half lead and did not look back. One of the runs was by wide receiver Kam Jones. He has four touchdown runs on the season and that doesn’t count the one he had in the spring game. This one went for 84 yards which was the longest run of his career. His previous long was only 28. Here are his touchdown runs this season.
- 84 yards vs. Tulsa
- 1 yard vs. UAB
- 27 yards vs. UAB
- 28 yards vs. UTEP