For all you passionate fans, you big-time stats guys, you BTSG's. Here are some notes, nuggets and tidbits of all things College Football. Impress your friends it's time to kickoff!
In an emotional game, Marshall scored two touchdowns in the final four minutes to defeat Tulsa 45-34. The Thundering Herd wore special helmets with a “75” insignia on the side honoring the 75 people that died during the 1970 plane crash involving the Marshall football team. As for the game, Rakeem Cato was 33-for-58 passing and threw for an incredible 456 yards and a just as incredible five touchdowns. He is one of six FBS players this season that have had at least 30 completions, 400 passing yards and five touchdown passes in a game this season.
- Derek Carr (Fresno State vs. Rutgers)
- Shane Carden (East Carolina vs. Old Dominion)
- Garrett Gilbert (SMU vs. Rutgers)
- Derek Carr (Fresno State vs. Idaho)
- Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M vs. Mississippi State)
- Rakeem Cato (Marshall vs. Tulsa)
Shane Carden also threw for five touchdown passes this past week. Carden threw for a 5- and a 55-yard strike in the first quarter and an 11-yard touchdown in the second quarter. He added a 6- and a 17-yard touchdown in the fourth quarter to complete his total and help East Carolina to a 63-14 victory over UAB. Carden also had five touchdown passes this season against Old Dominion and Tulsa. The three games tie him for the most by a quarterback in the FBS this season. Here are the quarterbacks that have more than one five-touchdown game:
- Shane Carden (East Carolina): 3 games
- Rakeem Cato (Marshall): 3 games
- Derek Carr (Fresno State): 2 games
- Chuckie Keeton (Utah State): 2 games
- Taylor Kelly (Arizona State): 2 games
- Sean Mannion (Oregon State) : 2 games
- Johnny Manziel (Texas A&M): 2 games
Let’s continue the theme of five.
Charles Ross ran and ran a lot as Rice downed Louisiana Tech 52-14. Ross had a career-high 215 rushing yards in the game. He also had five rushing touchdowns. That total matches a Conference USA record that had been done nine times before (nine times, Mrs. Bueller). Of those 10 overall times, Ross has the fifth most rushing yards by a player with five touchdown runs. Here are those top five conference leaders:
- Matt Forte (Tulane), 2007 vs. SE Louisiana: 303 yards
- Ahmad Bradshaw (Marshall), 2006 vs. UTEP: 261 yards
- Antowain Smith (Houston), 1996 vs. Southern Miss: 231 yards
- Carlton Jones (Army), 2004 vs. USF: 225 yards
- Charles Ross (Rice), 2013 vs. Louisiana Tech: 215 yards