For all you passionate fans, you big-time stats guys, you BTSG's. Here are some notes, nuggets and tidbits of all things College Football. Impress your friends it's time to kickoff!
When both college and pro football are making headlines by great passing performances, it is nice to see that players like Antonio Andrews still can rush the ball. The senior ran for 204 yards on 24 attempts as the Hilltoppers defeated the Bobcats of Texas State 38-7. Andrews has at least 100 rushing yards in 10 straight games and 20 games overall. Also, Andrews has five 200-yard rushing games in his career including two this season. He is one of eight players with at least two 200-yards games this season. Here are his five 200-yard rush games in his career.
- 2012 vs. UL-Lafayette: 238 yards (37 rushes)
- 2012 vs. North Texas: 230 yards (25 rushes)
- 2012 vs. Arkansas State: 215 yards (29 rushes)
- 2013 vs. Morgan State: 213 yards (17 rushes)
- 2013 vs. Texas State: 204 rushes (24 rushes)
Billy Joel, The Kinks and ZZ Top are just some performers that sang about pressure. Well, the Jaguars of South Alabama know how to provide it. In the 36-14 win over UL-Monroe, South Alabama had a school-record nine sacks in the game. Pat Moore and Montavious Williams had 2.5 sacks each. In addition, Jerome McClain provided two sacks and Alex Page and Romelle Jones had one. Their previous high this season was three sacks. Here are the top three-sack or better performances by South Alabama in school history.
- 9 sacks vs. UL-Monroe in 2013
- 8 sacks vs. Fork Union in 2009
- 6 sacks vs. Nicholls State in 2012
The Red Wolves had a tougher time then they expected and squeaked out a 35-33 win over winless Georgia State (more on the Panther side below). Arkansas State is now 7-4 on the season including 5-1 in the Sun Belt Conference. Arkansas State has now won four straight games and each game was a little scary late in the game. Check this out.
- Nov. 2 against South Alabama: trailed 16-10 in fourth (won 17-16)
- Nov. 9 against UL-Monroe: tied 14-14 at half (won 42-14)
- Nov. 16 against Texas State: tied 21-21 at half (won 38-21)
- Nov. 23 against Georgia State: trailed 24-21 in third (won 35-33)
The bad news for Panther fans is that Georgia State lost again. They are now 0-11 on the season. However this game against Arkansas State was close. The Panthers failed to score on a two-point conversions with 2:13 left and were defeated 35-33. However Andrew Wilson was a huge story and should supply Georgia State fans with Panther Pride. Wilson became the first player in school history with 100 rushing yards and 100 receiving yards in the same game. He also supplied some defense by forcing a fumble near the goal line after the Panthers fumbled themselves. Wilson had 149 receiving yards and a career-high 104 rushing yards. He now has 1,076 receiving yards on the season which breaks his own record set last season.