The SEC Baseball tournament lives up to the league's credo of bigger is better. Whether it's the spacious Hoover Met Park or the 12 team field the fact that it's the SEC proves it's special. I have not been to this event so being it was my maiden voyage, I thought I would offer some observations. Here are my top five “likes”of the Hoover Met.
- Love the outfield Bullpens. Having pitchers warm up down the line and in sight of play is a thing of the past.
- The Grass Corners in the park give it a nice feel and great place for kids to play.
- The Scoreboard is nice and offered great view on the jumbo tron.
- Two levels for media viewing is a great way to keep those who report happy.
- The size of the park lends itself to being a multi purpose facility (you know I had to work football into this). Actually I found out Hoover HS plays their games in the Met and the field runs from home plate to right field.
Things you may not know about the SEC Baseball Tournament
- Arkansas, Kentucky, and Georgia have never won and SEC Tournament. Throw in Texas A&M and Missouri and that makes five of the 14 teams. Arkansas still has a shot to break through in 2013.
- The SEC tournament has been in Hoover 17 times and a SEC West team has won it 14 times.
- The most hits by one team during a tournament is 79, held by Alabama in 1996.
- The most runs put up by one team during the tourney is 63 held by Vanderbilt in 1989.
- RA Dickey of Tennessee holds the record for most innings pitched in a game with 11.
- Ole Miss has a losing tournament record (30-31) including Tuesday win but has 5 tournament titles trailing only LSU (9) and Alabama, Mississippi St. who each have (7).
Play of the Day
Mikey White, shortstop for Alabama started a sweet 6-4-3 double play with only using his glove.
The new format brought the one and done back to SEC tournament baseball. This had been used a couple other times but not to this magnitude. Auburn's loss will sting as they sit on the NCAA bubble and blew a 3-1 lead against Alabama. Kentucky's loss to Ole Miss not only puts them on the bubble but may have shoved them right off of it. Florida's loss could knock them right out of the NCAA, despite playing one of the nation's best schedules. If the SEC is going to get nine teams in they may need some help.
- Big Winner Day One -Texas A&M
- Big Loser Day One - Florida
- Game of Day One - Mississippi St. win over Missouri in 17 innings.
Ball Park Menu
You can't go to the park especially baseball without a sampling of the menu. Typical Ball Park Menu with Burgers, Dogs and Chicken but here are my three favorite items today.
- The BBQ Nachos are five star. Forget the chicken or beef give me pork.
- The Frozen Lemonade was perfect on a hot 90 degree day.
- The Hoover Chilli Dog was a good capper for the evening.