- 1 large round loaf of bread (sourdough, white mountain, Italian)
- 1 lb Provolone Cheese, sliced thin
- ½ lb Hard Salami, sliced thin
- ½ lb Smoked Ham, sliced thin
- ½ lb Mortadella, sliced thin
- ½ lb Cappacolla, sliced thin (can sub, Hot Cappy)
I use Boar’s Head meats and cheeses
Olive Salad to top bread
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup pimento stuffed green olives
- ½ cup kalamata olives (pitted, can be sliced)
- 2 ribs of celery cut in chunks
- ½ small red onion
- Handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
- A few cracks of freshly ground pepper
Combine olive oil and vinegar with black pepper in a large bowl, wisk to combine.
Add red onion, celery and garlic to a food processor and pulse a few times, add all other ingredients and pulse a few more times.
Add to olive oil mixture, toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate.
Best if made a day in advance to allow flavors to combine.
Cut bread horizontally in half and scoop out some of the bread from both the top and bottom to make room for your olive salad.
Put a layer of olive salad in bottom scooped out bread.
Top with a layer of provolone, salami, ham, mortaella, cappacolla and finish with another layer of provolone.
Add a layer of olive salad to the top scooped out bread as well.
Close your sandwich and wrap in aluminum.
Bake in the oven or heat on a warm grill to lightly melt the cheese.
To serve slice into large wedges and enjoy!
I always have enough meat and olive salad for 2 huge muffalettas!