For all you passionate fans, you big-time stats guys, you BTSG's. Here are some notes, nuggets and tidbits of all things College Football. Impress your friends it's time to kickoff!
What can you say about “The U” that hasn’t been said before? The swagger of the Hurricane defense was back as they defeated their in-state foes the Florida Gators. Junior Denzel Perryman had 13 tackles and forced a fumble in the victory. In all, Miami forced five turnovers. Since 2000, Miami has forced at least five turnovers in six games against ranked opponents (all of them wins).
- 2001 vs. No. 12 Washington: 7 turnovers forced
- 2001 vs. No. 14 Florida State: 6 turnovers forced
- 2005 vs. No. 3 Virginia Tech: 6 turnovers forced
- 2001 vs. No. 14 Virginia Tech: 5 turnovers forced
- 2003 vs. No. 5 Florida State: 5 turnovers forced
- 2013 vs. No. 12 Florida: 5 turnovers forced
Boston College senior running back Andre Williams had 35 rushes and netted a career-high 204 rushing yards in a conference victory over Wake Forest last Friday night. The 204 rushing yards was the 12th highest in Eagle history. It was Williams’ seventh 100-yard rushing game of his career. Here are those seven times:
- 2013 vs. Wake Forest: 204 rushing yards
- 2012 vs. Army: 191 rushing yards
- 2010 vs. Syracuse: 185 rushing yards
- 2011 vs. Northwestern: 114 rushing yards
- 2013 vs. Villanova: 114 rushing yards
- 2010 vs. Virginia: 108 rushing yards
- 2012 vs. Florida State: 104 rushing yards
The Hokies first score of the game against Western Carolina last week came the old fashioned way for Virginia Tech. A staple of Frank Beamer and Bud Foster throughout the years has been defense. But it’s been since the 2010 ACC Championship Game since the Hokies have scored a defensive touchdown. Junior free safety Detrick Bonner scored on a pick-six against the Catamounts to give the guys from Blacksburg their first lead of the season and a lead they would not let go. Bonner had two interceptions in the game, but only one went for a score. In the 2000s, seven Virginia Tech Hokies have had at least two interceptions returned for a touchdown.
- Macho Harris: 4 interception returns for a touchdown
- Xavier Adibi: 2 interception returns for a touchdown
- Roc Carmichael: 2 interception returns for a touchdown
- Chris Ellis: 2 interception returns for a touchdown
- Brandon Flowers: 2 interception returns for a touchdown
- Eric Green: 2 interception returns for a touchdown
- Roland Minor: 2 interception returns for a touchdown
NORTH CAROLINA STATE
Kicker Niklas Sade has been a smooth operator this season connecting on all seven of his field goals. His last one was a 48-yard attempt that was the game-winner with under a minute left, giving the Wolfpack a two-point win over Richmond. The 48-yarder might have been cause for concern to the Dusseldorf, Germany native in his first two seasons, but not in 2013. In 2011 and 2012, he was just 6-for-11 in field goal attempts between 40 and 49 yards. In 2013, he is a perfect 3-for-3.
The season has not been slow for this Maryland Terrapin. The Terrapin I am talking about is quarterback C.J. Brown. Brown came into 2013 with just seven touchdown passes. This season he already has five. Brown came into 2013 with five touchdown runs. This season he already has four. This season is just two games long. Only seven times this season has an FBS quarterback threw for at least two touchdowns and ran for at least two touchdowns in a game. Of those seven times, Brown has two of them.
Clemson’s Tajh Boyd makes it three for ACC quarterbacks.