For all you passionate fans, you big-time stats guys, you BTSG's. Here are some notes, nuggets and tidbits of all things College Football. Impress your friends it's time to kickoff!
It started back in 1890, when Syracuse defeated the Syracuse Athletic Association 14-0. Now after last week’s 52-17 win against Tulane, the Orange now have 700 career wins. They must like round milestone numbers because they also have 500 career losses (the 46 ties doesn’t fit the pattern though). Here are the historic wins if you count by hundreds.
- 100th win (1907): 22-0 against Hamilton
- 200th win (1924): 10-0 against Boston College
- 300th win (1946): 28-7 against Temple
- 400th win (1964): 38-6 against Kansas
- 500th win (1983): 14-7 against Navy
- 600th win (1996): 31-7 against Pittsburgh
- 700th win (2013): 52-17 against Tulane
Senior Tom Savage had a field day this past week as he threw for an ACC record-tying six touchdown passes in the slugfest win over Duke. It was the first conference win for Pittsburgh in the Atlantic Coast Conference. Savage needed those six scores as the Panthers edged the Blue Devils 58-55. Three of the six touchdowns were caught by freshman Tyler Boyd. The school record of touchdown passes in a game is seven by Pete Gonzalez back in 1997 against Rutgers, but that was before the team joined its current conference. Here are the four quarterbacks that have had six touchdown tosses in the ACC.
- Tom Savage (Pittsburgh): 2013 vs. Duke
- Chris Weinke (Florida State): 1999 vs. Maryland
- Dan Ellis (Virginia): 1999 vs. Buffalo
- Steve Slayden (Duke): 1987 vs. Georgia Tech
Both Weinke and Ellis did it on the same exact day. The date was Nov. 13, 1999.
The Terrapins led by A.J. Hendy showed turtle power as they shut out West Virginia 37-0. Hendy had two fumble recoveries and an interception which he returned for a touchdown. He was named the Walter Camp National Defensive Player of the Week. He became the first Terrapin to win any Walter Camp National weekly award. The last time Maryland shut out West Virginia was in 1999. In fact, Maryland has only had four shutouts since the 2000 season. Here are those defense dominations:
- 2013 against West Virginia
- 2008 against Wake Forest
- 2007 against North Carolina State
- 2003 against The Citadel
FSU put up incredible numbers once again last week. The Seminoles scored on offense, defense and special teams in a 54-6 win over Bethune-Cookman. Match that with the 62-7 win over Nevada the week before, Florida State now has back-to-back 50-point outputs. Here are the times they have accomplished that feat in the past:
- 1980: 2 in a row (Louisville, East Carolina)
- 1982: 2 in a row (Southern Illinois, East Carolina
- 1985: 2 in a row (South Carolina, Western Carolina)
- 1986: 3 in a row (Tulane, Wichita State and Louisville)
- 1988: 2 in a row (Louisiana Tech, South Carolina)
- 1991: 2 in a row (Western Michigan, Michigan)
- 1992: 2 in a row (Maryland, Tulane)
- 1994: 2 in a row (Maryland, Wake Forest)
- 2000: 2 in a row (North Carolina State, Clemson)
- 2012: 3 in a row (Murray State, Savannah State and Wake Forest)
- 2013: 2 in a row (Nevada, Bethune-Cookman)