This was a huge weekend for Conference USA as we witnessed a prelude to possible championship matchups. There are roughly five weeks remaining in the regular season and the top teams have positioned themselves for the balance of the season.
However, there’s still time for a few to better their positions. But, if they’re going to do so, the time is now. The Golden Eagles recognized that and took advantage of the home court against top contender UTEP on Saturday.
1. Southern Mississippi, now (23-5, 10-3), remains atop of the C-USA power rankings. The Golden eagles defeated UTEP 77-68 at Reed Green Coliseum on Saturday. They also defeated UTSA on Thursday.
2. UTEP (20-8, 10-3) - The Miners entered Saturday’s contest with a chance to own Conference USA having beaten Louisiana Tech and Middle Tennessee. Southern Miss was the only domino in the top four that hadn’t fallen to UTEP.
3. Middle Tennessee (21-7, 11-2) - The Blue Raiders now have the best record in the conference and that elevates their position. The losses to UTEP and Tulsa are their only blemishes.
4. Louisiana Tech (22-6, 10-3) – Tied with UTEP and Southern Miss for second place, Louisiana Tech split the road trip losing at East Carolina but winning at Old Dominion.
5. Tulsa (15-12, 10-3) – The Golden Hurricane blew through Florida with wins over Florida Atlantic and Florida International. It’s been a phenomenal turnaround following an average start.
6. UAB (17-10, 6-7) – The Blazers Picked up two wins on the road at Marshall and Charlotte.
7. Old Dominion (13-15, 7-6) – The Monarchs beat Rice but lost to Louisiana Tech.
8. Charlotte (14-12, 5-8) - The 49ers lost to lost to Middle Tennessee by 22 at home, but played much tougher in a 64-62 loss to UAB on Saturday.
9. North Texas (14-13, 5-8) – North Texas gained ground by defeating FAU on Thursday and FIU on Saturday.
10. Tulane (15-13, 7-6) – The Green Wave continued to fight with a split of their home weekend contests. They lost to UTEP, but defeated UTSA 68-56 on Thursday.
11. East Carolina (15-13, 4-9) – The Pirates came on strong last Thursday with a huge win over Louisiana Tech and followed that up with a 67-55 win over Rice on Saturday, both on their home floor.
12. FAU (10-18, 5-8) – FAU lost to Tulsa and North Texas.
13. FIU (13-15, 5-8) – FIU lost to North Texas and Tulsa.
14. Marshall (9-19, 3-10) – Marshall fell to UAB on Thursday and Middle Tennessee on Saturday.
15. UTSA (8-18, 4-9) – The Road Runners lost at Southern Miss on Thursday and at Tulane on Saturday.
16. Rice (2-11, 7-19) – The Owls dropped two on the road against Old Dominion and East Carolina.