The Georgia State Panthers (0-5) are looking to take another milestone step on Saturday. They will welcome the Troy Trojans (3-3) to the Georgia Dome and play their first Sun Belt Conference game at 3:30 p.m. ET. The game will be aired on CSS and will feature announcers Tom Dore, Cole Cubelic and Emily Gagnon.
Unfortunately for Georgia State, this season has gone just like many people predicted. They are 0-5 and have lost three games to FCS schools by a combined 44 points. The Panthers have scored just 71 points all season.
The offense has been abysmal throughout Georgia State’s first five games. They rank near the bottom at every offensive category.
Not all is bad on offense, as Albert Wilson is one of the best receivers in the Sun Belt. He leads the Sun Belt in receiving yards (103.4 per game), ranks second in all-purpose yards (183.3 per game), and third in receptions (5.2 per game).
The defense has been just as bad as the offense. The defense has allowed 38 points per game and 2,349 yards of total offense for the season. They have not been able to get much pressure on opposing quarterbacks this year and have four turnovers on the season.
The Trojans are coming off a one-point win over South Alabama, a team that Georgia State will play later in the year. Against FBS programs, the Trojans are 1-3 on the season.
The offense for Troy has been effective; averaging about 34 points per game.
They are led by their senior quarterback Corey Robinson, who has completed 74.2 percent of his passes (second in NCAA FBS) and has a passer rating of 154.5. He has 12 touchdowns through six games.
Robinson’s favorite target has been Eric Thomas, who has 31 receptions and nine touchdowns this season. He has seven straight games with a touchdown reception, which is the longest active streak in the NCAA FBS.
The Trojans’ woes come on defense, where they have allowed almost 35 points per game. They have allowed 2,828 yards of total offense (471.3 per game).
Opponents are averaging more than 150 rushing yards and 315 passing yards per game against the Trojans defense. The key to the rest of the season will be Troy’s ability to prevent big plays from happening.
Troy Trojans Notes
1) The Trojans’ 18-9 record on the road is the best in the Sun Belt since 2006.
2) Troy is 3-0 this season when they score first.
3) Quarterback Corey Robinson has thrown for more than 300 yards 21 times in his career.
Georgia State Notes
1) Place-kicker Wil Lutz set a new school record with a 53-yard field goal against the Alabama Crimson Tide last week.
2) Of the 25 seniors on the Panthers’ roster, 15 were part of their 2010 inaugural season.
3) Kenny Bell threw for more than 390 yards against Samford, and is going up against a defense that is giving up more than 300 passing yards per game.