The South Alabama Jaguars (3-6, 1-3) welcome the UL-Monroe Warhawks (5-5, 3-2) into the friendly confines of Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Ala. Saturday for a Sun Belt battle starting at 7 p.m. ET on CSS.
Each has work remaining to become bowl eligible. South Alabama needs to win each of its remaining three games while UL-Monroe needs one win to make it to the magical number of six for bowl eligibility.
The Jaguars are no stranger to heartbreak, as five of their six losses have been by seven points or less, and three of them have been by just one point.
They are led on offense by quarterback Ross Metheny, who ranks No. 49 in the country with a 139.41 passer rating. He has thrown for 1,977 yards and completed 62.3 percent of his pass attempts. He has 19 total touchdowns this season, 11 through the air and eight on the ground.
Eight of Metheny’s touchdowns have gone to receivers Shavarez Smith and Danny Woodson. They are first and third on the team in receiving yards.
On defense, Enrique Williams is a problem for offenses he leads the team with 85 tackles this season, and is averaging just over nine per game. Alex Page and Romelle Jones have been in backfields all season. They have combined for 20 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks through the first nine games of 2013.
Kolton Browning has been an excellent quarterback for the Warhawks this season. He missed two games, but has still thrown for 1,736 yards and 18 touchdowns.
Browning distributes the ball evenly throughout his receiving corps. Eight players have had at least one receiving touchdown. Rashon Ceaser and Tavarese Maye are his primary targets. They have combined for 92 receptions for 1,086 yards.
The running game is anchored by Jyruss Edwards and Centarius Donald. They have five of the team’s seven rushing touchdowns, and have combined for 810 yards.
The defense for the Warhawks has left much to be desired. They have allowed an average of 29.8 points per game. For all of their deficiencies, the Warhawks have had success in getting into the backfield. The attack is led by Gerrand Johnson and Ray Stovall, who each have nine tackles for loss.
South Alabama Notes
- Tight end Wes Saxton is two receptions away from setting a school record for receptions in a season. He currently has 44.
- The Jaguars have an 11-game streak in which they have recorded at least one sack.
- South Alabama is riding a four-game streak in which it has committed fewer penalties than its opponent.
- The Warhawks forced a turnover against Arkansas State in the first quarter last week, which marked the 24th consecutive game that they have forced a turnover.
- Since returning to the field from injury, Kolton Browning has connected for 769 yards through the air on 59 completions with 11 touchdowns.
- Isaiah Newsome became just the fourth player in NCAA FBS history to return two interceptions for touchdowns (71 yards and 75 yards) in a single game. He was the second player in school history to do so.